Deepdale and Dovedale Apartments are nestled amidst mountains and lakes. Surrounding the apartment you will have vistas of the Lakeland fells and lakes – inspirational whatever the season.
The second largest lake in the Lake District is Ullswater and it’s within a few minutes walk of Deepdale Apartment. It is a beautiful lake with plenty of opportunities for water based excursions from fishing or paddling in the lake or hiring a rowing boat or motor boat from Glenridding Boating Centre.
Glenridding Sailing Centre provides expert tuition if you want to have a go at sailing, canoeing or kayaking.
The Ullswater Steamers sail to Howtown and Pooley Bridge several times a day.
Ullswater is surrounded by majestic fells that have over time inspired poets and artists as well as being a haven for walkers and climbers.
From Deepdale and Dovedale Apartments there is easy access to Helvellyn, St Sunday Crag and the Fairfield and High Street ranges. There are also many valley and woodland walks. Wainwright described the lakeshore walk from Howtown as one of the finest in the Lake District. This makes for a great day out if you take the steamer from Glenridding to Howtown and then walk back along the lake side path where the views are breathtaking. If you prefer two wheels, there is also a good choice of bridleways nearby. At times you might need to carry your bike up the fell, but it’s worth it for the ride back down!
The villages of Glenridding and Patterdale are only a few minutes’ walk from Deepdale Apartment which means:
- 4 village pubs within a 5 to 10 minute walk
- 2 village shops, a post office and an outdoor shop (Catstycam) – in case you’ve forgotten anything.
- a garage with a repair centre in Glenridding – and a National Lottery terminal
- a medical centre which you hopefully won’t need, but it’s just a few minutes’ drive away.
- a National Park Information Centre in Glenridding for all the info you need about what to do and where to go.
- Ullswater Steamers and Glenridding Sailing Centre in Glenridding – for getting out and about on the lake.
Some useful links:
- Patterdale Village Store and Post Office for most things you’ll need. Make sure you try their freshly baked bread and Tom’s cookies!
- Patterdale Community Development Centre for info on what’s happening locally.
- Ullswater Steamers A very enjoyable way to enjoy Ullswater and view the mountains from the lake.
- Glenridding Sailing School for everything you need for messing about on Ullswater! Sailing dinghies and traditional boats, canoes and kayaks and windsurfers for hire, as well as expert tuition by RYH qualified staff. The Centre also provides launching facilities.
- Ullswater Association for info about the Ullswater area, lake activities, where to walk, etc.
- John Campbell, Mountain Painte for many years, John Campbell worked from a small gallery in Patterdale. He is now based in Keswick, but his paintings still include magical views of the Ullswater valley. His website will certainly inspire you.
- LakeDistrictDeskTops for up to date images of the Lake District. New images are added every day so you enjoy your favourite bits of the Lakes from home.
- The Lakeland Fells Andrew Leaney’s superb site – full of photos, walking routes, photos, walks. All the info you could need to plan some exciting days in the hills.
- Holiday Cottages in Glenridding 3 lovely cottages located in the village of Glenridding or at Grisedale Bridge, midway between Glenridding and Patterdale at the heart of the Ullswater valley.
- Escape and enjoy A real chance to get away from it all … with ideas on holiday accommodation, things to do, places to visit. And it’s all on one site! Includes our neighbours self-catering cottage in Glenridding, as well as lots of information on things to do in Glenridding.
There’s lot for you to explore and enjoy